Monday, July 04, 2022

john shaw | for the 4th of july


We ate the flag,

a cheese cake one with

berry stripes, sweet 

after the tangy barbeque and the bite of beer.

But all night long we burped up stars

bursting like fireworks

in the black bedroom.

 

I lie awake in the night

wondering why we celebrate our country?

 

Back on childhood’s Western Avenue,

the rows of corn stand knee-high next to the freeway.

In Summer’s thumping heat,

I had swimming lessons in the blue village pool.

My sister hung me out the upstairs window.

 

JFK turns to his side, in a car,

and dies. We rent a TV to see

the funeral, my father standing

on the linoleum

when they play the star spangled.

 

We are on holiday at Cape Cod,

and a shirt-ful of steamers

is set for boiling and bowls of butter.

 

My father took me to Chicago in the train,

and we rode in an elevator

to his desk in the sky-

scraper, and sat me in his leather chair

with my legs hanging down.

 

Later, Martin Luther King Jr. leans on a railing

holding the bullets inside,

but no one told me. 

None of us stood up for him. 

 

Nor did I understand my childhood’s war

in the other world

of bamboo and napalm, and the color

of the cake was agent orange

and there was so little sweetness.


2

 

And how we slid from being 

an engine in the world, 

full of zest and freshness, 

to this fat self-interest. 

How greed waxed, and joy waned,

until history was just trotted out

once a year to justify guns, or fresh excess.

 

How squabbles were fanned into fires

and we lost the union, consumed for 

short profits and the gratification

of a few.

 

When our collapse came

we barely noticed:

we were bickering like spoilt kids

as the car left the asphalt, 

The tires shuddering in the air.

As we tumble, 

I wonder, 

Are the words that choke us 

grateful to be free of us at last,

so that life, liberty, and the pursuit

of happiness

can find new throats, 

new champions with less 

avarice and more need?