Tuesday, September 08, 2026

NUMBERING OUR DAYS: TIME AT THE MOVIES

from Smoke (1995, Wayne Wang)

Since 2004 I've been keeping track of calendar dates that show up in movies. In 2013 I started making montages of those film clips, culminating in the 2023 Richmond Cultural Centre premiere of a six hour montage of movie scenes representing the six months of November through April. Now the Date Movie project is complete, and is playing through to October 3 Monday through Saturday at the Dal Schindell Gallery (Regent College, on the UBC campus). You'll find detailed information at the gallery website

There are also seven other movie montages featured in the installation. TimePiece, which debuted a year ago at the Annex of the Richmond Cultural Centre. In sixty minutes it moves around the clock showing clips featuring the time of day - a tribute to Christian Marclay's work The Clock. Marquee tracks the history of the movies through a progression of movie theatre marquees; another mashup does the same with Studio Credits taken from films featured in the installation. A pair of screens show us people in movies watching movies, and the movies they are watching, and Staircase and the Cinema Chapel look at contrasting ways we move through our days, with suggestions of eternity.

I'll be spending time at the gallery as I continue to build two of the pieces. I'll update it as I add other sessions., so check here for a schedule of those times. Also, if something happens and I'm not going to make it to the gallery at one of the times I've listed, I'll update that here. Currently...
Thu Sep 10, 12-6
Sat Sep 12, 10-4
Wed Sep 16, 1-9 (Reception 4-8)
Mon Sep 21, morning/midday TBA
Fri Sep 25, 2-6
Fri Oct 2, 1-4 (followed by Artist Talk 7-8:30)
Sat Oct 3, 10-4
 
PARKING
(this is important)
There's a lot of construction around Regent College right now, so parking is tricky. There's plenty of it, but you need to know where to look. There are a limited number of 2 hour spots along the east side of Western Parkway (Honk or Pay By Phone) - definitely the most convenient, but you're strictly limited to two hours, and you might want a bit more time to sit down and really take in the long-form videos, the Date Movie or the Cinema Chapel - or visit the amazing Regent Bookstore. There's also plentiful underground parking off Allison Road - 2 hour limit for meter parking, or (I think?) longer durations if you use the Hangtag app (but download it in advance; I've found it a pain to try and download when I've just parked, so I don't). But here's the PRO TIP! UBC - Fairview Crescent parking. Pay By Phone or Honk app, always spots available, it's right beside a nice little forest, five minute walk from Regent, and if you book three hours or so it extends it beyond midnight for free! The other day I it charged me only ten bucks to park from 10am to 11:59pm! 
It's located south of Regent. Turn east from Wesbrook Mall onto Thunderbird Boulevard, go left when you have to turn at Osoyoos Crescent, then an immediate left onto Fairview Avenue. I've marked it on the map below. Low tech, low artistic merit, but hey, I'm not THAT kind of artist, okay?!!